I did this recipe the first time when I was researching on what we should eat for Christmas that is vegetarian. I came across a similar recipe and it was a real hit! It worked really well as a Christmas recipe but also as a weekend recipe any time of the year.
Kale pie with walnuts and blue cheese
- 1 pie dough
- 200 g kale
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp honey
- 100 g blue cheese
- 100 g walnuts
- black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml cream
- 200 g cheese preferably Västerbottencheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- black pepper
- Turn the oven to 200°C (392°F)
- Use a large pie form and spread out the pie dough in it. Cover edges with aluminium foil and use a fork to poke holes in the bottom of the pie.
- Place in the oven for 15 min, then take it out and lower the heat to 175°C (350°F)
- While the pie dough is in the oven you can heat up a pot of water with some salt in it. Wash and chop the kale coursely. Then boil it for 5 min. Let the kale sit in a colander.
- Peel the onion and cut it in thin slices. Fry it in a pan with some oil, the honey and salt until it is soft and has gotten some color.
- Mince the garlic cloves and add to the frying pan, let it fry for a minute. Add the kale and stir to mix everything.
- Fill the pie with the filling
- Grate the cheese then whisk the eggs in a bowl together with the rest of the egg mixture ingredients.
- Pour egg mixture over the pie
- Crumble the blue cheese over the pie
- Coursely chop/crush the walnuts and sprinkle them on top
- Place the pie in the oven for 35-40 min in the lower part of the oven.
- Serve hot with a salad (apple and red cabbage in the salad goes well together)