Eating Swedish waffles (frasvåfflor) is mostly done around 25th of March (Waffle day in Sweden). The waffle day in Swedish is “Våffeldagen” and it is believed to have started from mishearing “Vårfrudagen” (Our Lady’s Day) which sounds similar in Swedish.
The international waffle day is originating from the Swedish waffle day and is also on March 25, however in USA it is on August 24. Most families just buy a prepared mix, but this recipe is fast, easy and produces really crispy waffles that is so much better.
Recipe: Swedish waffles (frasvåfflor)
- 300 ml flour 150 g
- 250 ml sparkling water
- 300 ml cream
- 2 tbsp butter + extra for the waffle iron
- Mix the flour and sparkling water
- Melt the butter
- Whisk the cream and then mix it gently into the batter together with melted butter
- Heat up the waffle iron with some butter
- Pour enough batter to cover the surface of the iron once closed
- Grill until they are crisp and golden
- Serve with jam and whipped cream or vanilla icecream (a Swedish speciality is cloudberry jam)