I am always on the lookout for the ultimate vego burger that does not require a ton of work. This recipe was an idea I had to skip the tedious steps to mash beans, lentils, etc then forming into sticky patties and trying to fry them without ending up with a mess. Instead I thought to use just thick slices of sweet potatoes covered in cajun spices and baked in the oven and fried slices of halloumi cheese. The result; absolutely fantastic!
Add your favorite bbq sauce, some avocado, tomatoes and lettuce between your favorite burger buns and you’ll get the same as in the picture!
Recipe: Sweet potato and halloumi vego burger
- 1 thick sweet potato the slices should be as wide as possible, but only 4 are needed for 4 burgers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cajun spice
- 200 g halloumi cheese or why not double it 🙂
- 1 basil leaves
- 1 tomato
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 burger buns
- bbq sauce
- 1 avocado optional
- Heat up the oven to 175°C (350°F)
- Peel the sweet potato and cut in thick slices (should be one slice per burger)
- Place a parchment paper on a baking sheet pan, add the potato slices and cover with the oil on bothe sides then the cajun spice on both sides
- Bake in the oven for around 45 min
- In the last 10 min you can fry the halloumi slices, slice the tomato and prepare the lettuce.
- If you have an avocado then slice it also (just note that it is quite slippery and will make it difficult to eat the burger with any grace..)
- Place all ingredients between the buns and enjoy!