Two weeks ago I experimented with saffron to the classic recipe for “Kolasnittar” (Swedish caramel cookies or biscuits or shortbread). Caramel cookies are so easy and quick to make so I had to try another version before Christmas, this time with Chai spices (which just happened to be roughly the same as gingerbread spices). If these Christmas caramel cookies are gone before you know it, and you still want more, then I suggest you try out the saffron caramel cookies or any other new spice combinations:
Recipe: Christmas caramel cookies (kolasnittar med juliga kryddor)
- 200 g butter
- 250 ml sugar 200 g or 1 cup
- 50 ml syrup
- 360 g flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate
- ½ tsp ground clove
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Heat the oven to 175°C (350°F)
- Soften the butter in the microwave for a few seconds
- Mix all dry ingredients first, then add the rest.
- Use a hand mixer with the dough hooks and mix everything until it is possible to combine it to a ball with your hands
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Divide the dough in 4 and spread them out in lines across the sheet (they expand slighlty so leave some space between).
- Carefully roll them out and even out the edges.
- Bake for 15 min, take it out of the oven and start cutting the cookies while it is still hot. Make the cuts slightly slanted to get the classical look of the Swedish kolasnittar