Mákos guba (poppy seed bread pudding or walnut bread pudding) is the traditional Christmas dessert in Hungary. For lunch on Christmas Eve Hungarians eat a fish soup of carp called halászlé and for dessert it is mákos guba or Beigli. It is also a very popular dessert any other time of the year and you can even order it in restaurants. In Hungary it is made with the bread kifli but any white fluffy bread works.
Recipe: Mákos guba - Hungarian Christmas dessert
- 3 baguettes or similar amount of white bread, 30 cm each
- 700 ml milk
- 100 g ground poppy seeds
- 75 g sugar
- Break the bread in pieces
- Heat up the milk
- Mix poppy seeds with sugar and stir it with the bread
- Toss everything together so that the bread get soaked and coated with sugar and poppy seeds
- The quick version is ready just like that, but you can also bake it in the oven for around 20 min. A common addition if you bake it in the oven is vanilla custard
Bon appétit and Merry Christmas!
See all Christmas recipes here >>>
More recipes from IngredientMatcher here >>>