Sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie as dessert is not very common in Sweden but it is growing in popularity together with the American traditions around Halloween and Thanksgiving. When searching for the perfect recipe I found an interesting recipe for sweet potato pie with coconut from Back to the roots. As usual I could not just bake it according to the recipe without making a few enhancements. I exchanged the coconut oil for regular butter, added brown sugar instead of regular and tweaked the spices a bit. Furthermore I found this tip for getting an even better taste of a pumpkin pie that I thought would work just as good for sweet potato pie: Ruth Reichls smart tip for better pumpkin pie. It is basically just adding an additional step after you have created the sweet potato puree by mixing in the sugar and then spread it out on a baking sheet and let it roast in the oven for a few minutes until it starts to brown. Usually the pie is served with whipped cream, vanilla icecream or meringue as topping. But you could also try out a nutty topping with pecans or walnuts.
Recipe: Sweet potato pie with coconut
- 125 g flour 1 cup
- 60 g graham flour ½ cup, whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 115 g butter 1 stick
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 100 g brown sugar ½ cup
- 125 g butter
- 125 ml coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or vanilla sugar, extract or similar
- ½ tsp ginger
- 60 ml syrup
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 50 g brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 25 g butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 60 g walnuts chopped
- Start with peeling and chopping the potatoes then boil them for around 15 min. Turn on the oven to 225°C (435°F)
- When potatoes are boiling you can prepare the pie crust by first mixing all dry ingredients and then add butter in chopped pieces. Mix it with your hands until mixture resembles course meal.
- Use a hand mixer with dough hooks and add the cold water a tbsp at a time. The mixture is ready once it holds together.
- Spread out plastic wrap and press out the dough into a disc. Wrap the plastic around it and place in the fridge for a while.
- The potatoes should be ready by now so drain and mash together with the brown sugar.
- Optional step: Take a baking sheet and line with parchment paper before spreading out the mashed potato and roast in the oven until it starts to brown, then let it cool a bit. Lower the heat of the oven to 175°C (350°F)
- Mix the remaining ingredients for the filling with an immersion blender then add the cooled potato mixtue (to avoid coagulation of eggs) and mix again until you have a very smooth filling.
- Press out the dough in a pie form and add the filling
- Bake in oven at 175°C (350°F) for around 45 min, then let it cool before serving together with whipped cream or vanilla icecream
- Mix together all ingredients and 15 min before the pie is ready sprinkle streusel over the pie
Check out some of our other sweet recipes