The national dish of Saudi Arabia is Kabsa Fahm (Ruz Bukhari) Why not make it on September 23 when Saudi Arabia celebrates their national day. Here’s what our country chef Salsabil says about the national dish of Saudi Arabia:
There are many kinds of Kabsa and each kind is unique. The spices used in Kabsa varies depending on who you ask, so try some different variations to find your own favourite mix. The dish is traditionally prepared with lamb, mutton or chicken, but is occasionally prepared with goat, camel, beef, fish or shrimp. The spices, rice and meat may be enriched by almonds, pine nuts, onions and sultanas. The dish can be served hot with daqqūs / daqous (Arabic: دقّوس) – homemade tomato sauce.
Recipe: The national dish of Saudi Arabia - Kabsa Fahm (Ruz Bukhari)
- 1000 g chicken breast
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp kabsa spice mix see details further down
- 600 g basmati rice 3 cups
- 4 tbsp butter preferably ghee/clarified butter
- 1400 ml chicken broth 6 cups
- 2 pinches turmeric
- 2 small carrots
- 4 tbsp raisins
Daqous (Spiced Tomato Sauce)
- 950 ml finely crushed tomatoes / tomato puree 4 cups
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 pinches cumin
- 2 tsp tahini roasted sesame paste
- 8 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp baharat spice mix see details further down
Baharat spice mix (mix all ingredients together and use only ½ tsp)
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- ½ tbsp ground coriander
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tbsp ground cloves
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
Kabsa spice mix (mix all ingredients together and use only ½ tsp)
- ½ tsp saffron
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ground dried lime
- ¼ tsp ground fennel seeds optional
- ¼ tsp ground coriander optional
- Season chicken breasts with olive oil, salt and pepper and Kabsa spice mix.
- Cook the chicken on the grill or in the oven, turning occasionally until cooked through.
- Rinse the rice well and soak in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- In a deep pan melt butter, add grated carrots and raisins, sauté.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered on low heat for 15-20 minutes until done.
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium pot.
- Simmer over low heat, while stirring, until well combined.
- Add more liquid if needed (water or chicken broth).
- Serve chicken with rice, daqqūs and a green salad.
About the Country Chef
Salsabil was born and raised in Saudi Arabia. Salsabil’s great inspiration for cooking is her mother, who is a great cook. Her biggest passion is baking cakes and making desserts because she has quite a sweet tooth.
Read more about IngredientMatcher’s Country Chefs in the Foodie section
Read more about other national dish recipes published on this blog