Once in a while you end up with leftover ingredients you want to use before they spoil but have no idea what to make with it. This time I had 3 egg whites and the dishes I normally use them in did not seem tempting enough
- Frittata & omelette
- Pies & Casseroles (whisk with milk or cream and pour over the pie)
- Meringue and soft meringue dessert topping (here are some nice tips on whipping egg whites)
- Coconut cookies / Macarons
- Amaretti cookies
So I started searching and found this recipe for Blackberry lime bars that I thought could easily be adjusted for blueberries. I later learned that you can actually freeze your egg whites but I definitely don’t regret doing these blueberry lime bars!
Recipe: Blueberry lime bars
- 150 g butter softened
- 75 g sugar
- 150 g flour
- ½ vanilla bean or vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 500 ml frozen blueberries heaping 2 cups
- 170 g sugar 3/4 cup
- 4 limes around 150 ml juice and 2 tbsp zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 85 g flour 2/3 cup
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F). Line a 18*24cm baking dish (7*10 in) with parchment paper
- Whisk butter and sugar with a hand mixer, then add vanilla and salt. Add flour while whisking until all is incorporated.
- Put dough in the baking dish and press it out evenly.
- Bake for 25 min until slighlty golden
- Heat the blueberries in the microwave then mix in a blender until liquidy then transfer to a bigger bowl.
- Zest the limes and squeeze out the lime juice.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 25 min
- Let it cool down then place in fridge to cool completely (around 4 hours) or use the freezer if you are in a hurry.
- Once it is completely cool you are able to cut it into squares without making a mess
Next time I will try some other combinations like:
- Strawberry & lime
- Cherries & lime
- Plum & lime
- Apple & lime
- Peach & lemon
- Blueberries & lemon
Could also be fun to experiment with raw sugar instead of granulated sugar. Check out some of our other sweet recipes.
Here are other recipes of sweet bars: