Do you have a waffle iron? How often do you use it? Only for waffles? Did you know that the waffle maker can be used for weeknight dinner recipes? This recipe for mashed potato and avocado waffles is a delicious example!
Recipe: Mashed potato and avocado waffles
- 8 strips bacon
- 250 g mashed potatoes ~3 potatoes
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 50 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 65 g flour 120 ml / ½ cup
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 100 g Västerbotten cheese or any other cheese
- Heat the oven to 200°C (400°F)
- If you don't already have the mashed potatoes then boil 3 potatoes and mash them
- Cut the bacon into smaller pieces then fry until it starts to be crisp, let the bacon rest on paper towel to remove some of the fat
- Mash the avocado with the potatoes and melted butter. Whisk together milk and eggs and combine with the potato and avocado mix.
- Shred the cheese and set aside
- Take another bowl and combine the dry ingrediens before mixing it with the wet mixture. Add the bacon bits.
- Heat up the waffle iron and start making waffles! Place ready waffles on a baking sheet.
- Add the shredded cheese on top and let it melt in the oven for 5 min
- You can serve it with a dollop of sour cream, some more bacon or sausage
Want more inspiration, check out this blog post: The amazing versatility of the waffle iron – here are some dinner recipes using a waffle iron
Or check out this recipe for the best waffles you have ever had
Check out our other weeknight recipes here
Curious to find a solution to the ever present question on what should we eat for dinner?
There’s now an app that shows you recipes you can make with the ingredients you have at home. It just happens to be called IngredientMatcher and you can sign up for early access to IngredientMatcher here