I love spicy food and especially that bottle of Sriracha! This time I added it to a classic baked macaroni & cheese recipe and that together with using crème fraiche instead of cream turned out really well. Mac and cheese is great for using up leftovers, here are 10 additional ingredients you can stuff it with:
- Black beans
- Shredded chicken
- Pulled pork
Recipe: Sriracha mac and cheese
- 225 g macaroni 500 ml
- 50 g butter 4 tbsp
- 25 g flour 4 tbsp
- black pepper
- 300 ml milk 1¼ cup
- 200 ml crème fraiche
- 150 g extra-mature cheddar cheese 500 ml or 2 cups when shredded
- 2 tbsp Sriracha sauce adjust the amount to your liking
- 125 ml breadcrumbs or panko ~½ cup
- 1 tbsp butter 15 g
- Heat the oven to 200°C (400°F)
- Cook the macaroni to al-dente according to package and then set aside with some butter so it does not stick.
- Take a large pot and melt the butter, whisk down the flour. Heat up the milk in the microwave and add to the mixture. Whisk in the crème fraiche.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let it simmer for 5 min
- While it simmers you can heat up a small pan with a tbsp of butter and then add the breadcrumbs. Let it soak in the butter and toast a bit (careful not to burn it), set aside.
- Shred the cheese then add to the pot while stirring
- Simmer a few minutes until all cheese has melted
- Take it off the heat and toss with the macaroni until everything is coated
- Grease an oven pan and pour in the mac & cheese. Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs over it and bake for 20 min