I had a lot of apples and was curious to see what I could make beside desserts like the classical apple pie, apple strudel, or apple sauce. There are several recipes where you add just an apple but I wanted to use up more than that. This American Apple Pancake recipe was the result (using up 4 apples) and it was so nice I need to share it!
This recipe will result in 9 plate size thick american apple pancakes. Two each will make you full if you have them for lunch or dinner.
American apple pancakes
- 4 apples 225 g when shredded
- 120 g butter ½ cup when melted
- 500 ml milk ~2 cups
- 2 eggs
- 400 g flour ~2½ cups
- 2,5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Take out all needed ingredients, peel the apples
- Melt the butter and mix with the milk in big bowl (you need to warm up the milk a bit otherwise the butter will form lumps)
- Stir in the eggs and shred the apples into the wet mixture
- Use another bowl to mix the remaining dry ingredients, then stir it into the wet mixture
- If you want this process to go fast then use 3 pans at the same time to fry the pancakes. Heat up the pans on medium heat with some butter. Around 100 ml batter for each pancake will yield 9 pancakes of the size you see in the pictures. Brown on both sides and serve hot with some apple sauce of your own preferred topping.