One of my favorite bars are the traditional lemon bars, but when I found a recipe for a simpler version using condensed milk from Katarina over at Hovkonditorn I just had to try it and I was not disappointed!
The advantages with this recipe are several:
- Surprisingly easy with just two bowls where you mix the butter and dry ingredients in one and the condensed milk and lemons in the other
- Very fast with just 20 min in the oven
- Can be frozen and eaten straight from the freezer without no need to thaw!
- Super delicious with a perfect balance between sweet and sour
- Great balance between creamy and crunchy
Easy lemon crumb bars with condensed milk
- 120 g butter
- 125 g brown sugar 150 ml
- 100 g rolled oats 250 ml or 1 cup
- 100 g wheat flour 200 ml
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 400 g condensed milk sweetened
- 75 ml lemon juice usually 1 medium sized lemon
- 3 tsp lemon zest
- Heat up the oven to 175°C (350°F)
- Softened up the butter in the microwave for around 30 sec then mix it together with the sugar, oats, flour and baking powder
- Use a baking pan of around 20*20cm (8*8 inches) and line it with parchement paper. Add 2/3 of the oat mix to the pan and press it out evenly
- Take another bowl and mix the condensed milk with lemon juice and the zest
- Spread out evenly in the pan and finish by adding the remaining oat mixture on top
- Bake for 20 min then let it cool before you cut it in squares
- You can store it either in the fridge or in the freezer. I actually prefer to eat it really cold straight from the freezer
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
If you are looking for more lemon crumb bars I can recommend you check out this Blueberry crumb bars with lemon
I tried this recipe and loved eating the condensed milk, with the lemon, lol. I haven’t actually tried it yet as it is baking but I wouldn’t say that there wasn’t enough oats mix for me and too much condensed milk mix. Easy and fun though.