There are a few recipes around for filled zucchini with ground beef but I thought the vegan ground beef (not sure exactly what it is called but a vegetarian substitute for ground meat, perhaps soy crumble?) I usually have in the freezer would do the trick. And it sure delivered! Even though this might not be a weeknight dinner it sure was delicious and we will be doing it again for sure!
Västerbottenost worked amazingly well in this recipe, but feel free to experiment with other strong flavored cheese.
If you are using small to medium sized zucchinis then the filling will be heaping over like in the picture. When using quite large ones so they cover a complete oven sheet pan then the filling will be around level with the zucchini.
Filled zucchini with rice, tomatoes and vegan ground beef
- 4 zucchini medium sized
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g vegan ground beef or any substitute you have for ground meat
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp rosemary
- chipotle chili powder adjust amount to your liking
- black pepper
- 500 g crushed tomatoes
- 50 ml rice or 150 ml cooked rice
- 200 ml cheese shredded. Best is if you choose a strong flavored cheese!
- 50 ml parmesan shredded
- Boil the rice
- Heat up the oven to 225°C (437°F)
- Use some of the oil on a big oven form or sheet pan
- Fry the vegan ground beef until browned in the remaining oil
- Add finely chopped garlic, tomato paste and the spices. Stir while frying for a few minutes
- Add crushed tomatoes and the boiled rice and mix together
- Wash the zucchinis, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out so that it is around 1 cm left of the zucchini. Keep the zucchini content to be fried with an onion and then use a mixer to blend with mint, black pepper and a few drops of lemon, use as a spread on bread.
- Place the zucchini halves on the oven form or pan and fill generously with the fake ground beef mixture. Bake in the oven for 20 min
- Add the shredded cheese and parmesan evenly over then bake for another 10 min