I first stumbled upon this recipe for gluten free Amaretti cookies when I assembled a list of Christmas desserts around the world. The combination of having 3 leftover egg whites and the need to bake something sweet but gluten free leads inevitable to this awesome recipe of chewy amaretti cookies. The traditional recipe for Amaretti cookies include Amaretto liquor but switching it to Fireball was really tasty and I guess you also could experiment with another liquor you have at hand.
Recipe: Amaretti cookies
- 3 egg whites
- 280 g almonds
- 280 g sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tbsp fireball or the liquor of your choice
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- Grind the almonds (or use store bought ground almonds)
- Heat the oven to 175°C (350°F)
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Take a big bowl and a hand mixer and whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks
- Fold in the almonds, sugar, vanilla powder and liquor and mix until you have an even paste
- Use two separate plates, one for the sugar and one the powdered sugar.
- Start forming small balls (~3 cm) then roll each first in sugar, then in the powdered sugar.
- Place on the tray with a little space between each (they expand slightly in the oven but not much)
- Squash each cookie just a little then bake in the oven for 15 minutes.