We still have rhubarbs in the garden and wanted to bake a cake but not the rhubarb crisp with almond paste that we have eaten a lot of..
Found this recipe for a rhubarb scratch cake that I improved a bit. Biggest change was to almost double the amount of rhubarbs, but if your short on rhubarbs it also works as in the original recipe.
This turns out to a super delicious moist rhubarb cake that can be served both warm and cold. Fresh from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream is my favorite! But served cold directly from the fridge is also super yummy!
Here you can find this recipe in swedish.
Recipe: Moist rhubarb cake
- 300 g flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 120 g butter softened
- 300 g raw sugar or brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 250 ml milk
- 450 g rhubarb I have tried it with half the amount which also works fine
- 50 g sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 175 C (350 F)
- Chop the rhubarbs in roughly 1 cm thick pieces (I used a mandoline)
- Take a small bowl and mix flour, baking soda, vanilla and salt. Set aside
- In another bowl blend together butter, sugar and then the egg
- Use a hand mixer with the dough hooks to blend in the milk and the small bowl with flour.
- Stir in the chopped rhubarbs
- Grease a baking dish of around 20 cm x 30 cm and fill it up with the cake batter
- Use the small bowl to mix the topping (sugar and cinnamon)
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the cake before baking it in the oven for around 35 min or until a tester comes out clean
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply