This oven baked gnocchi in tomato sauce and mozzarella is so simple and so delicious that we have started to keep both gnocchi and mozzarella in the fridge all the time.
It is actually a classic Campanian summer dish called “gnocchi alla sorrentina”, or potato gnocchi in the manner of Sorrento.
Even though it takes roughly 40 min from start to finish it is only 10 minutes of active cooking and the 30 min in the oven makes it a perfect weeknight dinner recipe.
It will probably work with just half the mozzarella and you can also try baking it shorter in the oven, but then you don’t get that nice crispy cheese crust.
Recipe: oven baked gnocchi in tomato sauce and mozzarella
- 500 g gnocchi fresh
- 500 g crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- black pepper
- 250 g mozzarella
- fresh basil optional to garnish
- Heat up the oven to 200°C (392°F)
- Heat up a pot with the crushed tomatoes and add minced garlic, thyme, basil, salt and black pepper. Let it simmer for 5 min (it becomes better if it is allowed to simmer for longer
- Shred the mozzarella
- In an oven proof form add the gnocchi, then pour over the tomato sauce and finish with the mozzarella
- Bake in the oven for 30 min. Serve it with some fresh basil leaves as garnish and perhaps a salad.